Home > United States > Products > Band Instruments > French Horns > H177 Double French Horn

Holton Professional Model H177 Double French Horn

About the Model H177

Holton horns offer an alternative in design that creates a great experience for the young or advanced players. This Farkas model offers independent tuning for convenience allowing the player to tune the Bb side of the horn seperately from the F side.
Holton Professional Model H177 Double French Horn

With a smaller bell than the H179, the H177 has a slightly brighter, more compact feel, however, the core darkness and richness of sound remains. Nickel silver bell material responds quickly and the independent Bb main tuning slide allows for incerased tuning flexibility.

Holton "Farkas" - Key of F/Bb, .468" bore, Farkas wrap, 12-1/4" medium throat nickel silver bell, nickel silver branches, slide crooks and slide tubes, mouthpipe waterkey, tapered rotors and bearings, clear lacquer finish, Holton-Farkas MC mouthpiece, CH179 fabric-covered, plastic shell case.

Leave a Review

Leave a Reply



(Your email will not be publicly displayed.)

Please type the letters and numbers shown in the image.
Captcha Code

Click the image to see another captcha.




After performing professional engagements with Sousa’s great band, Frank Holton opened up a small shop in Chicago in 1896, selling second hand instruments and his secret recipe of Electric Oil trombone slide oil.  For the first two years, business was tight and Holton would spend evenings and weekends performing just to draw a salary to support his business.  By 1898, business had sustained itself to the point that Holton could hire an instrument maker to begin making what he introduced as the “Holton Special” trombone.  As business grew, his “Holton Harmony Hints” catalogue increased in size to include trombones, cornets, valve trombones, and mellophones by 1904.

Phil_Farkas.jpgBusiness continued to grow and Holton’s instruments became the choice of top professionals including Vincent Bach, first trumpet for the Boston Symphony in 1914 (before he began building his own instruments).  In 1917, Holton signed an agreement with the city of Elkhorn, Wisconsin to build a factory.  In the agreement, a provision was made that if Holton paid out $500,000 in wages over seven years to support the community workforce, he would be granted the title to the land and building.  In 1920, Holton met this obligation. 

In June 1919, to inspire a stronger workforce to move from Chicago to Elkhorn, Holton bought seventeen acres and contracted 27 houses built to offer to his employees.  Production of top line professional instruments continued to grow.  In 1929, Holton introduced a complete line of school grade instruments under the Holton Collegiate name. 

In 1939, Frank Holton sold his company to Fred Kull, a company employee.  In 1942, Frank Holton passed away.  Throughout the Second World War as most manufacturers did, the Holton Company turned to making components for the military.  As the war ended, the Holton Company saw steady growth.  In 1964, after pressures to offer a complete range of woodwind instruments, the Holton Company sold to G Leblanc Corporation. 

During Leblanc’s ownership, Holton would rise as a leader in low brass manufacturing.  The support of well known artists such as Philip Farkas and Ethel Merker, Holton’s French horns became increasingly popular.  Manufacturing of Holton instruments was retained in Elkhorn, Wisconsin until 2008 when it was relocated to Eastlake, Ohio. 

Locate a Store Nearest You

Enter a city, state, postal code or country 





Copyright 2014 Conn-Selmer, Inc.
Home | United States